Use this registration page to access the recording and supplemental materials for this webinar.
ISSP live webinars and recordings are free for ISSP members or $25 each for non-members. ISSP members must be logged in to receive the discount.
Recordings are accessed through a streaming link which will be provided to you once you have completed this contribution form. Most webinars also include a PDF of the presenter's slide deck for you to download, as well as presenters' contact information and topical recommendations for further reading and resources.
For questions or concerns, please contact email@example.com.
WEBINAR: Make your existing buildings more sustainable through BREEAM
Recorded live on Wednesday, December 5, 2018
Traditionally, green building certifications have focused on new buildings and these green building programs help shape the more visible, shinier, and sexier side of real estate. Increasingly, however, the sustainability community is recognizing that that there are many more buildings that exist now than will be built and this market segment is woefully underserved by green building certifications and roadmaps for improvement. Further, lower performing assets are not addressed in other certifications and yet, for carbon and resource efficiency, small changes can yield far more improvement than tweaks to higher performing assets.
BREEAM, the world’s first green rating system for buildings, was developed by the Building Research Establishment (BRE). BREEAM initially focused on new construction. However, as the understanding about sustainability evolved, BRE saw a tremendous need for a simple yet robust and cost-effective benchmarking and certification system for existing buildings. BREEAM In-Use was developed and rolled out for all countries in 2009. Local adaptations for some markets followed, including BREEAM USA In-Use in 2016. BREEAM was expanded further to include Refurbishment & Fit-Out for buildings, Communities and Infrastructure. BREEAM has issued over 564,000 certifications in its nearly 30 years of operation.
BREEAM In-Use provides building owners, facility managers and building occupants a consistent and credible means of determining the impact and performance of their buildings, as well as areas for improvement. Its distinguishing elements include:
- International comparability including where adapted to local markets
- Independently verified on-site by licensed Assessors
- Applicable to all commercial building types, allowing comparability and standardization across a portfolio of properties
- Available for buildings of all ages, sizes and performance levels, not just those considered “green”
- Assessment and benchmarking are easily accessed and facilitated through the BREEAM In-Use Online Tool
- Allows for benchmarking and/or certifying against one or more areas: the physical structure, operational performance and the occupant’s activities and use of their space.
- A holistic approach to sustainability evaluation, collectively assessing performance across a wide range of environmental categories
- Focused on year-over-year improvements
- Flexible and adaptive to client requirements, providing a score and rating that allows the client to pursue those issues which provide them most value
- Learn about BREEAM and how it is used around the world
- Learn what BREEAM In-Use is, how it is structured and how to apply it in buildings
- Learn how BREEAM provides value to stakeholders in the existing building market and how it is different from other green building systems
- Learn how the online tool and certification process works
Breana Wheeler became the Director of Operations for BRE America upon its founding in May 2016. Breana organizes and oversees the daily operations of the business, including the development and maintenance of the BREEAM USA technical standards. Her expertise includes organizational environmental risk identification and management, carbon footprinting, sustainable travel, and the development and implementation of Environmental Management Systems to the ISO 14001 standard.
|Webinar Recording||$ 25.00|